Baby dies after botched circumcision by his parents at home

0
174
Baby dies after botched circumcision by his parents at home

A five-month-old boy is dead after his mum and dad tired to carry out a circumcision without any medical assistance.

The boy went into cardiac arrest at home in Bologna, Italy, as a result of the procedure.

He was airlifted to hospital on Friday afternoon but died later that night, according to local sources.

Tools for circumcision. Scissors. knife. And protector; Shutterstock ID 1171648516; Purchase Order: -

A baby boy died when his parents tried to perform a circumcision at home (Picture: Rex Shutterstock)

The parents are now being held on manslaughter charges and the boy is due to undergo a post-mortem examination.

The boy’s death follows a botched home circumcision of a two-year-old who died of severe blood loss in December in Rome. In that case, his twin brother nearly died, too, but survived following intensive care treatment.

Circumcision is not practised among Italy’s Roman Catholic majority.

Many immigrants in Italy are Muslim and practice circumcision for cultural and religious reasons, but sometimes have trouble accessing the practice in hospitals.

For some, the hospital costs are too high. Also, in some Italian hospitals, doctors refuse to perform circumcisions until the boys have reached the age of 4 or even older.

Foad Aodi, the founder of the association of foreign doctors in Italy (AMSI), has appealed to health authorities to allow circumcisions at affordable prices and to lower the age of access to help fight clandestine attempts at circumcisions.

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here