Christchurch terror attack claims 51st victim seven weeks after massacre

0
295
Christchurch terror attack claims 51st victim seven weeks after massacre

The Christchurch massacre has claimed another fatality seven weeks on (Picture: Getty/EPA)

A dad of two wounded in the Christchurch mosque shootings seven weeks ago has died in hospital, raising the death toll to 51.

The Turkish citizen had been fighting for his life in intensive care since the attack on the Al Noor Mosque on March 15.

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the sad news would be felt across both countries.

In a statement she said: ‘We have all been hoping for the best, however he has now succumbed to the injuries sustained in the shooting at the Al Noor mosque.’

Yesterday Turkey’s foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Twitter: ‘Unfortunately, we have lost our citizen Zekeriya Tuyan who was seriously wounded in the treacherous terrorist attack in Christchurch, New Zealand.’

The state-run Anadolu Agency said the father-of-two was wounded in the back and the leg and died after undergoing surgery.

Armed police officers stand guard outside the Al Noor mosque during Friday prayers in Christchurch on May 3, 2019, ahead of the holy month of Ramadan. - The death toll from the Christchurch mosque attacks has risen to 51 after a 46-year-old Turkish man succumbed to injuries sustained in the March 15 shootings, the New Zealand prime minister said on May 3. (Photo by Sanka VIDANAGAMA / AFP)SANKA VIDANAGAMA/AFP/Getty Images

Armed police stand guard outside the Al Noor mosque during Friday prayers (Picture: AFP/Getty)

New Zealand police say the man was 46 years old and was one of three Turkish citizens wounded in the attack.

thumbnail for post ID 9410543Baby fell into toilet and drowned while being cared for by 16 year-old stepsister

Ardern said he was only the second victim to die while in the hospital

The first was unable to be resuscitated on arrival at Christchurch Hospital on the day of the attack.

She said of the 49 people who were wounded and taken to hospitals, nine remained hospitalised and all of them were in a stable condition.

Relations between Turkey and New Zealand have been strained since the attack after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan showed clips from the gunman’s livestreamed footage at his election campaign in a bid to denounce hatred against Islam.

epa07438401 Armed police patrol following a shooting resulting in multiply fatalies and injuries at the Masjid Al Noor on Deans Avenue in Christchurch, New Zealand, 15 March 2019. According to media reports on 15 March 2019, at least one gunman opened fire at around 1:40 pm local time after walking into the Masjid Al Noor Mosque, killing and wounding several of people. Armed police officers were deployed to the scene, along with emergency service personnel. There are also confirmed reports of a shooting at a second mosque in Christchurch, and both incidents have left at least 40 people dead and more than 20 people seriously wounded. Four people are in custody in connection with the shootings. EPA/Martin Hunter NEW ZEALAND OUT / re: Christchurch New Zealand - 15 March 2019 - Brenton Tarrant carried out shootings at Al Noor mosque. Four people are in custody following shootings at two mosques in the city. Police confirmed dozens of people were killed in the attack. The deaths occurred at Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Masjid in Christchurch.

The death toll has now risen to 51 after a Turkish man died in hospital this week (Picture: EPA)

New Zealand authorities have banned the video, and anybody caught sharing it in the country could face up to 14 years in prison.

The country’s foreign minister Winston Peters travelled to Turkey a week after the attacks to try to smooth relations.

He spoke at an emergency Organisation of Islamic Cooperation’s executive committee meeting called by Turkey to combat Islamophobic prejudice in the wake of the Christchurch massacre.

Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian white supremacist, has been charged with 50 counts of murder and 39 counts of attempted murder in relation to the attacks.

However those charges could now be amended to reflect the increased death toll.

He is next due in court on June 14.

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here